Technical marble runs and Star Wars droids, roller skates and gamer kits: here’s our pick of gifts for 10-year-olds…
1. Shortlisted for the Design Museum Toy of the Year and now a permanent exhibit at the MoMa in New York, the DIY gamer kit from Technology Will Save Us is as cool as modern tech toys get. Kids build their very own gamer and code it with old school games (and then hack it to their heart’s content).
2. Marble runs are not just for younger kids, this Skyrail Roller Coaster with motorised elevator from Italian brand Quercetti requires serious concentration and dexterity to build but it’s huge and impressive when it’s up.
3. Keep their desk space organised and their invitations on display with the Block Peg Board in a pop bright colour.
4. Another keepsake from Big Picture Press Design Line series, Planes, Trains and Automobiles features more than 100 iconic vehicles in a beautiful concertina fold-out. Great for young spotters.
5. Who said 10-year-olds don’t dress up? This super cool felt wolf mask by Frida’s Tierchen will get them back into the role play, especially if they have little siblings to chase and ‘eat’.
6. Clear the table and challenge gravity with this cool stacking game for older kids. Just beware the potential for swearing as it crashes down time and again. Les Escaleras balancing game by Pico Pao.
7. You can’t deny children the unending pleasure of Lego, but as they get older you can challenge them to build something substantial. Great for getting to grips with simple engineering principles. We secretly want the Lego Architecture Studio for ourselves.
8. Sartorial kids who are ‘too grown up’ for toys will appreciate statement wellies: these Hunter Silver boots are for life, not just for Christmas.
9. Star Wars fan? There is no better gift than this BB-8 droid by Sphero with holographic video playback and voice recognition, the droid can be controlled by a smart phone and it’s actions evolve as you interact. Weird but true.
10. If your childhood memories of the local roller disco haven’t ruined it for you, get them on some awesome Rio roller skates and set them free.