As much as we all covet the odd piece of designer gear for our kids, don’t most of us still buy 80% of their wardrobe on the high street? With so much to choose from we’ve picked the best so you don’t have to trawl: streets ahead for the girls, it’s the GAP girls collection.
Mothers of boys tend to comment that girls clothing is predictably better and more varied than boys. Nothing much has changed there. But when you actually rifle through the rails, a lot of what is on offer either reflects cinema releases or errs on the side of frilly (and short). The girls we know? They seem to rate things they can dangle on the monkey bars in. Which is why, hands down, we have chosen GAP girls as this season’s high street hero.
6 of the best picks from the GAP girls collection:
- Seriously stylish, this fit & flare trench coat does playtime, smart lunch, after school hangout and Saturday shopping trips. A classic cut for sartorial kids. £34.95
- Fun but practical under long tops of dresses, leggings are the reserve of girls who want to hang upside down on the climbing frame without having to worry. We love these owl printed leggings. £9.95
- Taking a normal everyday outfit to the next level, and a good go-to accessory for any party, the skinny crown headband is a great, cheap wardrobe boost. £6.95
- Looking every inch designer but at a seriously decent price, we would team these metallic chelsea boots with skinny jeans or a denim dress. If only the women’s collection had them too. £29.95
- This dress bridges summer and autumn, can be worn with tights or leggings (or alone on warmer days), and is timeless, stylish and frankly, a steal. 1969 denim fit & flare shirtdress, £22.95
- Perhaps not the most practical thing for busy kids, we rate this popcorn-stitch sweater capelet all the same because it is cosy and cool, chunky and versatile. It’s also quite fun for pretending to be a crusader. £22.95