Awesome, appropriate and unusual – our pick of the best gifts for 3-year-olds.
1. Great for developing spatial awareness, this solid wood balancing cactus game is an unusual, stylish take on the Jenga theme for younger kids.
2. Make-believe is in full flood at this age so seize the moment with Numero 74 cotton fairy wings.
3. Rewind a few decades with this monkey trapeze toy: simple, old-fashioned fun that makes a great stocking gift and looks great on the bedside shelf for years to come.
4. There’s nothing as satisfying for little people than spotting something before you do. Have fun together with Big Picture Press’ brilliant spotting book Where’s The Pair?, just control the urge to see it first.
5. Are they a little unsure of the world? Try Donna Wilson’s transitional object, Donald designed exclusively for London’s School of Life. A great way to comfort and reassure little ones at bedtime or in times of change.
6. We love a slogan top, and cool kids will enjoy giving this Kid + Kind t-shirt to their younger sibling. (No longer available)
7. There can’t be many families around who don’t already have the brilliant stacking Prickly Pile Up game, but if you are/know one, buy it sharpish.
8. A classic stocking filler, this tiddlywinks game should keep them occupied while you get onto dinner. The swing lid means it’s easy to carry around without losing the pieces.
9. Budding chefs and young pretenders will enjoy cooking up a storm at this John Lewis country play kitchen.
10. If they’re ready for a balance bike, how about this rugged Kiddimoto superbike: it looks fierce and can even be personalised with their name. This will definitely give little ones credibility with older brothers and sisters.
Buying for a 3-year-old? Don’t forget to take a look at our gift ideas for 2-year-olds and 4-year-olds as well. Or check out all of the 2016 guides here.