Not everything fun comes with a screen: we have found some excellent and unusual gifts for 8-year-olds that should fend off the iPad for a little longer.
1. One of our favourite books of the year, My Crazy Inventions Sketchbook is packed with creative drawing activities perfect for inventive characters.
2. Do you remember French knitting when you were a kid? Help children be dextrous and create something they can actually use with this old-school Pony French knitting tool.
3. If ever you feel justified in buying a kids t-shirt from J. Crew, it’s Christmas. We love this metallic Star Wars top. (Chewie tee not longer ships to the UK. But the Star Wars for CrewCuts range for 2016 is better than ever)
4. Turn any old pair of wheels into a superbike with this hilarious Turbospoke exhaust kit – making their push bike look and sound like a real motorbike to unsuspecting passers-by.
5. The neon light writer kit is a great way to get kids interested in science by stealth.
6. Just for decoration or the ultimate air-guitar? Get a bunch of these guitar cushions to decorate their room and before you know it you’ll be playing along too.
7. Part of the brilliant Welcome to The Museum collection, Story of Life: Evolution is a fascinating read and a beautiful fold-out book to have around the house, too. £9
8. Nothing beats a game of charades after lunch, so let the kids take the lead by holding the cards. Ridley’s games room Charades are the best. (For families with younger kids try John Lewis’ insanely popular Charades for Kids).
9. If your kids love yoga, they’ll need their own mat in proportion to their enviably narrow downward dog. We want this Magic Carpet mat from Anthropologie. £68
10. You never really grow out of temporary tattoos, especially when they are cool and festive like these awesome metallic origami tattoos. A perfect stocking filler. £1.95