We continue our Meat Free Monday series with a Mexican take on cheese toasties from Abel & Cole. Sweetcorn, beans and a tropical mango salsa provide colour, taste and comfort. And they’re flash-in-a-pan speedy to make too.
Launched by Paul, Mary and Stella McCartney in 2009, the Meat Free Monday campaign is going mainstream, as more families recognise the environmental, health and money-saving benefits of opting for one or more vegetarian or vegan days a week. But it’s all too easy to get stuck in a pasta and cheese rut, so we asked ‘farm-to-front door’ pioneers Abel & Cole to share three simple, inspiring meat-free meals from their recipe box collection that the whole family will love.
These vegetarian quesadillas turn the traditional cheese toasty on its head with loads of nutritious vegetables thrown in. If you want to make them gluten-free be sure to buy 100% corn tortillas.
CORN & BEAN QUESADILLAS WITH MANGO SALAD
Serves 2 adults.
- 2 shallots
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 mango
- 1 lemon
- A chunk of cheddar
- 2 spring onions
- Peel and finely slice the shallots. Chop the tomatoes into wedges, then into a small dice. Peel the mango. Slice the fat cheeks off both sides, as close to the stone as possible. Then slice off the thinner sides. Finely chop them.
- Finely grate the zest from the lemon. Juice it. Put the shallots, tomatoes, mango, lemon zest and juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Stir together to make a salsa. Put it to one side.
- Coarsely grate the cheddar. Trim and finely slice the spring onions. Pop them both in a small pan. Measure out 4 tbsp of the sweetcorn and 4 tbsp of the mixed beans. Give the beans a quick rinse. Stir them into the cheese.
- Warm the cheese mix over a medium-low heat for 4-6 mins till the cheese is melted. Put two tortillas on your work surface. Divide the melty mix between them, spread it evenly. Top with two more tortillas. Press down gently.
- Warm your oven to its lowest setting. Warm a large, dry, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Slide one of the quesadillas into the pan. Fry for 2-3 mins till the quesadilla is golden brown underneath.
- Flip the quesadilla over with a spatula or palette knife. Cook for another 2-3 mins till it’s golden brown underneath. Slide onto a plate and keep warm in the oven while you cook the second quesadilla.
- Slice the quesadillas into quarters. Serve with the tropical mango salsa.