We asked Hemsley + Hemsley to share some of their favourite healthy picnic tips and recipes. Jasmine’s Paradise Bars (a healthy superfood take on everyone’s favourite coconut centred chocolate bar) is one of their most popular recipes, and an absolute winner for a family picnic this summer. Just remember to pack an ice block!
Our Paradise Bars are the ultimate chocolate-dipped treat. Deliciously tropical coconut is enrobed in rich, 85% dark chocolate. They’re the perfect snack for a picnic that won’t send your blood sugar levels sky high and we always have a stash in our fridge! Each bite takes you one step closer to paradise.
Makes 24 bars
- 200g bar of creamed coconut
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 11⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- 150 g desiccated coconut
- 200 g (85% cocoa solids) dark chocolate – we use Green & Black’s
- Line a 20 cm square tin with baking parchment.
- In cold weather, place the unopened packet of creamed coconut in a bowl of warm water to melt it through (you can massage the packet to help it along). In warm weather, the creamed coconut will already be fluid enough.
- When it’s soft all the way through, pour into a bowl and mix in the coconut oil (it will melt if it’s hard), raw honey, vanilla, salt and 2–4 tablespoons water if you like a softer centre.
- Stir in the desiccated coconut evenly to create a doughy consistency.
- Pour the dough into the prepared tin. Press the mixture down with the back of a spoon to make it level and set in the fridge for 15 minutes until hard.
- Turn the tin of coconut mixture out onto a chopping board and slice into 6 horizontal slices by 4 vertical. 7 Place them onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment and keep in the freezer while you prep the chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in a glass or metal bowl over a pan of warm water – make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl and do not allow the water to boil or simmer – you may have to keep removing from the heat. This should take about 30 minutes.
- When the chocolate has almost melted, take the bowl off the heat and place on a tea towel to avoid slipping. Leave it to cool as much as possible without it hardening to give a thicker coating to the paradise bars – stir occasionally.
This recipe is part of our Hemsley + Hemsley healthy family picnic feature. Find out what the girls had to say on packing on the perfect picnic.Extracted from the The Art of Eating Well by Jasmine Hemsley and Melissa Hemsley (Ebury Press).