The fourth in our series of recipes extracted from Claire Thomson’s 5 O’Clock Apron, this delicious Beetroot & Chocolate Cake is a firm favourite with children (and now also plays a starring role in Claire’s must-see kids theatre project The Table of Delights).
BEETROOT CHOCOLATE CAKE
Makes 1 20cm cake
Cooked beetroot moistens the cake crumb. It also adds an earthy and discreet sweetness to the cocoa powder.
- 200ml vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 100g rice flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g cocoa powder
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g cooked and peeled beetroot (about 4 small ones)
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin with baking parchment.
- Mix the rice flour, ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and sugar in a large bowl.
- Purée the beetroot in a food processor or blender, then add the eggs one at a time, whizzing between each addition.
- Pour in the oil and process until smooth.
- Add the beetroot mixture to the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for about 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean and the cake is firm to touch.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
For more ideas on cooking beetroot for children, see our 5 a Day: Beetroot feature.
(Recipe extracted from ‘ The Five O’ Clock Apron‘ by Claire Thomson. Published by Ebury Press. Photography by Mike Lusmore.)